- I got married
- I had a child
- I had a second child
- I found gray hair
.... in that order. Is that a coincidence?
When I first began my career as a therapist, I didn't get it. I mean, I wanted to get it. I got it intellectually. But that's not the same thing.
- I didn't understand the courage it takes to bring your precious child to therapy
- I didn't understand how you could feel so much love and so much numbness for the same person
- I didn't understand how people could let so much time pass, so busy living that they forget to live well
- I didn't understand why money was the #1 reason for divorce in America
- I didn't understand how someone could ignore their own mental health issues because they are too busy caring for everyone else.
... I understand that now.
The best gift of my career is that I get to walk alongside so many different kinds of people. And I've learned over and over (and over!) that someone's life looks so different from the inside. I am honored by the stories we share.
What's funny is, the more I learn the less I know what to write about. Life doesn't seem as easy to contain within black and white letters. The breathless, quiet, fierce and sacred. And after 8 years of formal education and 5 years of a supervised internship and 9 total years of seeing clients.... I find myself more contemplative. More reverent. What do I know? I ask myself.
Well truthfully, I know a lot.
But I am only growing in understanding.
Thank you for the humbling journey,